I'm overall pretty content with what I did today. 85% of the blockout was done. I noticed that my designer set performed reasonably well. I had to create a set for kitchen counters of different sizes. I really do believe a designer set is in constant evolution as your project progresses (if you use any). Here's a an overview of the Manor Level blockout.
One thing I started noticing is how precise I could be with each of the segments of the level blockout. I had all the pieces necessary to execute any types of corridors and rooms. I can see this being effective while working with other artists as they have concrete value to input in their modeling software. That would also reduce the chance of creating any type of Z-fighting (which can sometimes be seen in the latest Thief). I've been thinking about color coding each pieces. A specific color of floor, for example, would mean that it's a 512*512 piece. An environment artist would simply look at the blockout and see that a corridor is a combination of 128*128 and a 256*256 without having to turn on the wireframe mode (taking in consideration that Level Designers are the ones doing the blockout in engine... Instead of a modeling software. I always prefer whiteboxing inside the engine so my iteration time is quicker. I'm not seeing an "export mesh" option in UE4... hum...).
I think I'm going to have quite a bit of fun working on the Master's Office (Master being the man that owns the manor). I wanted his work desk to be elevated, compared to the first part of the room, so I could communicate how the Master thinks he's more important (taller than you in this situation). Thinking about lighting this room... I'll be able to create some pretty dramatic effects with just placing a light source behind the desk to create some defined shadows.
I realized while I was building the blockout that I had made a little error in my layout. I made a "door combo" as I call it. It's basically not a very good thing gameplay and performance wise you can read why in the little image.